Parent accounts are key to the successful use of LINC-ED. They are the pathway to two-way communication between the school and the parent community. It is the tool to send community notices, email statements and for parents to view student learning. The generation of parents accounts is created from the email addresses added for student contacts.
On each student's Information Page there are options for three separate Contacts. First Contact, Second Contact and Third Contact. Under each of these headings you can add names and addresses for parents or caregivers. You can also add email addresses for these contacts.
These email addresses are the basis for this student's Parent Accounts. They are not created manually, therefore, it is vital that Parent Accounts are kept up to date. A failure to do this will result in parents not receiving the communication they need.
Getting Started - What Parents Can See (option)
When first starting out with LINC-ED, your Parent Accounts are created to enable communication with parents via Community Notices and Emailing of Statements. You may not, however, be ready for parents to log in to view student learning. It is important that your LINC-ED site Administrator turns off all settings relating to student learning.
- Set ALL No/Yes Indicators to 'No'
Create the Parent Accounts in Bulk
Part of the installation process for new schools is the creation of the Parent Accounts in bulk. Once this has been done, maintaining of the Parent Accounts is the responsibility of the school and is best done at an individual student level. If, however, your Parent Account maintenance has been overlooked, the bulk create process can be run again. To do this:
1) Click on the Groups and Classes icon.
2) Select the group or class you wish to set up the parent accounts for. If you are doing the whole school you will have to process class by class.
2) Click Menu --> Parent Accounts.
LINC-ED will automatically check for contact email addresses existing on the First and Second Contacts. Where an email address is found a new parent account will be created (if it does not already exist). In addition, LINC-ED will check to see if any siblings share this email address and then link these students to the account.
3) Once created, all the accounts associated with the children in this class will be displayed. From here accounts can be deleted, siblings added, passwords reset and options set.
4) Scroll down the page and check the Parent Accounts that have been created and Edit any settings required.
5) If a sibling is missing, click on the Edit Access button to add them. This will search by name for possible matches.
6) If you don't want a parent to have access to a particular child, use the Edit Access button to remove access.
7) Click on User Options to check mailing and view options. Email Updates will default to YES on creation. The Show Invoices defaults to NO and needs to be turned on for parents to view finances. This can be done in bulk on request. Special email groups can be set up for community notices that parents can subscribe to. If they exist, an option to receive emails from that group will also appear. Group and Class email options can be turned off by parents.
8) Reset Passwords will send a new password to the parent’s email address. Refer to the article Personalising your Password for how parents can set their own.
Creating Parent Accounts from an Individual
When a new student begins school it is vital that the Parent Account is created in order for their parent(s) to receive Community Notices and Statements. This process is carried out from the Student Information Contact Tabs.
If the student IS NOT a sibling
- Once the student is created and the parent details have been entered, refresh your screen to ensure that all data is updated.
- Go back into the First Contact tab. If an email address was previously entered you will see the button Create a Parent Account for this Contact above the type. Click this to create the parent account.
- If your parents are viewing finance details online, Click on User Options and set the Show Invoice slider to Yes.
- Repeat the process for the Second and/or Third Contact if more than one contact is receiving communication or requires log on privileges.
If the student IS a sibling
- Once the student is created, go back into the First and/or Second and/or Third Contact tab (any Contact that has an email address that has log on rights). If an email address existed you will see this message at the top 'A parent account exists for this address, would you like to associate <name> with this account'. Click Yes, please update the account. This will attach the sibling to the existing account.
- To check the Parent Account, refresh the screen, go back into the Contact Tab and click on View the account associated with this address.
Maintaining Parent Accounts
1) Changing an Email Address - The email address is the Username for a Parent Account, therefore, if the email address is changed then the Parent Account also needs to be changed. When an email address is changed on either the First, Second or Third Contact you will be prompted to change the Parent Account with the following message 'A parent account exists for this address, would you to update this account'. Click Update account.
If you click Save All to save your changes, the update account message will appear right at the bottom of the screen. You will need to scroll down to click Update account
2) Changing a Parent's Name - The Parent's Name also forms part of the Parent Account record but is not updated automatically. If you are intending to change the name of the contact, it is advisable to delete the existing Parent Account first and recreate on completion. To delete the Parent Account click on View the account associated with this address. Click Delete Account. Once you have updated the details, refresh your screen and return to the contacts tab. The Create a Parent Account for this Contact button will now appear. Click to create the new Parent Account.
Parent Account Health Checks
From time to time it is important that health checks are done on your Parent Accounts. These two steps will help to ensure your Parent Accounts stay up to date.
Step 1 - Check for missing accounts
- Go to Quick Links > List Builder.
- Scroll down to your pre-made reports and select Caregiver User Accounts (under Current Student Lists).
- In the filter box (white box) below the blue column heading for Parent Accounts (can view financials) enter "". This will reduce your list to all students with no Parent Accounts. Create the Parent Accounts either individually from the student's Contact tabs or in bulk from the Class Menu.
Step 2 - Check for missing connections
- Click on the Admin Tools Icon.
- Click on Menu followed by Students.
- Click on Overview of parent accounts. What you will see are all the Parent Accounts that exist and the email addresses that relate to them. In the Students column you will see any student that holds that email address in their student information. Sort this by Parent for easier viewing. Do not delete those with NO students as these belong to students who have left and need to remain in existence.
- If a student is showing in red, the email address exists but the student is not linked to the parent account. Click on the Edit Access Icon (the person and plus sign in the left most column), click all students to be linked and Update.
- If a parent name appears twice with two different accounts whereby one is linked to the student(s) and the other has broken links, then this indicates an obsolete account and can be deleted. use the Trash icon to delete the old parent account. As parent accounts are now being updated when emails are changed this should only occur for our earlier schools.
Parent Introduction Emails and Letters
When the time comes to open up access to LINC-ED to your parent community, they need to be advised on what this means and how to log in. This can be done via letter or email.
Click here to view a sample email: Introducing Parent to LINC-ED.
You may also wish to create a printable 'letter' version for those parents who are new to the school after the main launch has occurred. This could form part of the parent's information pack.
How do I know a Parent Account Exists
When a parent account exists there will be a button on the Contact tab that reads View the Account Associated with this student. Click this to access the Parent Account details and settings. If the parent account does not exist the button will be replaced with Create the parent account for this contact. Clicking this will go through the parent account create process for this contact. No buttons existing indicates that the email address field is empty.
Can a parent receive Community Notices but not Finance Statements?
If a Parent Account exists, that same account will be used for both Community Notices, Statements and the ability for the Parent to View Student Progress. If you do not want a parent with a Parent Account to receive a Financial Statement, the email address can be unclicked at the Bulk Email Statements stage or you can use the Bill Payer Select. Flag all parents who need to receive a statement as Bill Payers. Then, under the Bulk Statement selection, click Bill Payers Only.
How to test what parents can see
Refer help desk article titled 'How to test what parents can see'.